Thursday, December 13, 2012

R.I.P Golden Boy

(His final PCH drive. Point Mugu, November 21, 2012)

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012, my 1998 Champagne Sebring convertible, known by many as The Golden Boy, took his last breath. Always having a flair for the dramatic, he decided to bow out in the left hand lane of the 10 freeway, a half mile west of the Staples Center, at 2:32pm. At least four thousand cars attended his brief wake, before the police booted him into skid row.

Ever the stalwart, The Golden Boy protected myself and the people I loved as we ventured to Key West, the Outter Banks, West Virginia, the West Village, Chicago, Sedona, Miami, Tucson, Vegas, San Francisco, and beyond to Stinson Beach. Because of him, I was able to experience so much beauty.

He and I shared many adventures. My favorite being the move out to Los Angeles in the summer of 2004, when I thought for sure he and I'd be abducted by aliens when we passed a ten story white cement cross lit up at three a.m., two hours outside Amarillo.

Like all romances, we had our troubles. When his trunk refused to stay ajar I had to warn everyone not to use it, fearing they'd be decapitated. Towards the end, he didn't like taking turns, or stopping, or retaining oil, or unlocking from the driver's side door. But he was my guy.

Made in Detroit (though God forbid I'd ever drive him there),

J.Ro


                            
                    (Cruising to Gaga on Mulholland Drive, December 2011)

(Overlooking Malibu on Christmas Day, 2007)


(Off to celebrate my Dad's 60th Birthday in Vegas, 2010)

(By The Lion King hyenas, Korea Town 2009)

(Jenny P driving him across the Golden Gate, 2010)

(With Ballse and Kitty Kat in Rancho Palos Verdes, 2010)

(Our final photo. Midas of Beverly Hills, December 1, 2012)

1 comment: