Monday, May 23, 2011

Crash: The Sequel

Yesterday I performed the ritual every American partakes of on Sunday, shopping.

But my jaunt to the Beverly Center took a dramatic turn when a black girl approached me at H&M and uttered those four words every white man dreads "do you work here?" Just because I'm pasty and have a quasi-Jewel tooth doesn't mean I unlock dressing rooms.


Later that day, while waiting tables, a couple from England showed me a photo from their visit to Madame Tussauds . The husband thought this wax figure was Morgan Freeman, the wife thought it was Cuba Gooding Jr.


I had to be the one to tell them it was Oprah's longtime boyfriend, Stedman Graham.

Whether they were being racist or just British is hard to say, but their ignorance combined with my "Oprah Hermes" moment at H&M made me realize our Obamanation still has a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment